De Anza logo Search
De Anza Full Website

Employment For International F-1 Visa Students

Employment is a benefit granted to eligible F-1 international students. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security permits F-1 international students to engage in employment based upon pre-authorization by either the school's international student office or the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services).

While on campus employment is available at times, it is the student responsibility to inquire directly with the various departments.

Students interested in employment should attend one of the employment workshops offered by the International Student Programs (ISP) and speak to the International Student Advisor about the requirements.

Please contact the immigration advisor at the International Student Programs office iwith questions about employment.


Students who are unable to accept paid employment often ask whether they are permitted to engage in "volunteer" work and what activities are acceptable.  Refer to the Volunteer Activities Guide for F-1 students below for information about volunteering.


Prospective Students

Admitted & Current Students