There are two eligibility requirements for the Honors Program regarding English writing and GPA.
The EWRT1A eligibility is strictly enforced. You may fulfill the requirement through one of the following methods:
- Take the De Anza placement test and place into EWRT1A
- Complete EWRT1A at De Anza College
- Complete the equivalent of EWRT1A at another college with the De Anza College Assessment
Office's approval on your account/transcript.
- Pass or currently be enrolled in all required developmental level classes at De Anza College that you need to be eligible for EWRT1A.
You may fulfill the GPA requirement or equivalent through one of the following methods:
- Earn a college cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher after having taken at least 15 UC transferable quarter units.
- Earn a cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.5 or higher from a U.S. high school. You may use this option only if you graduated from a U.S. high school within the last 9 months.
- Earn an SAT Critical Reading score of 600 or higher AND an SAT Writing score of 600 or higher. You may use this option only if you took the SAT within the last 2 years.
If you do not meet the GPA eligibility requirement but meet the EWRT1A eligibility requirement, you may still apply for the Honors Program. Some exceptions to the GPA requirement are made on a case-by-case basis.
If you are accepted on a probationary basis, you may take a maximum of one Honors class per quarter, and you must show continuous improvement towards attaining a 3.3 or higher GPA while at De Anza College. Once you meet the minimum GPA requirement, you will no longer have a probationary status and you may enjoy the full privileges of the Honors Program as long as you have fulfilled all of the other student responsibilities.